Interview with Michelle Ortiz

Tuesday, May 25, 2010


Michelle Angela Ortiz is a mixed-media artist of Latin American and Caribbean descent that creates work connected to family histories and memory. As an arts educator, Ortiz uses the arts as a tool for communication to bridge communities. She has designed and created over 30 large scale public works nationally and internationally (Fiji, Mexico, Ecuador & Costa Rica) and is a recipient of the Leeway Foundation Art & Change Grant (2006) and Transformation Award (2008.) She has participated in the Cultural Envoy Program of the US Embassy in Juarez, Mexico and Suva, Fiji where she was selected to train local artists in techniques for engaging communities in the arts. 



You note that your work represents those who have contributed to your journey. Who has helped you the most to become a successful artist and educator?
First and foremost, my parents, who are both immigrants, made the difference by giving me a lot of positive support and encouraging my success. My Mother told me, “Whatever you do, I know you will do the best you can."  This motivated me and contributed to the drive I have.
Two women have become my mentors for the past seven years, Magna Martinez and Julia Lopez, who form the art collective Las Gallas with me.   We are all first generation citizens who share common themes in our artwork and work to impact positive change in communities, as well as organizations.  We work to create positive solutions to negative situations and help the community's voices be heard.

How did Moore contribute to your journey?
I started as a Young Artist Workshop (YAW) student and had an art teacher that truly believed in me and made me realize, for the first time, that I had the ability to make art into my career. This reinforced my decision to come to Moore for my undergraduate degree and pursue being a professional artist. While I was at Moore, I took advantage of every opportunity that was offered, which helped me grow as a person and artist.  Moore played a key role in my ability to own and know my own skill.

How is working abroad different from working locally?
I went to Ecuador in 2001. That was my first time abroad.  It was a different environment.  I was working with children in an indigenous community.  The adults were in charge, and the children did what they said.  They had no fun and no voice.  I train teachers in common arts or enhance their curriculum both locally and internationally.  I build resources and knowledge, but I don't take over.  I'm from Philly, so people are generally okay with me locally.  Abroad, I'm a young American woman, so it's a little harder.  I'm battling stereotypes on a larger scale.  I don't just do a project and get out.  I provide training for local artists and community leaders wherever I am.  They sustain the teaching and learning after I leave.

How have the communities you've been to changed with art?
In Fiji, they already had artist studios, but they weren't occupied.  The people had low self-esteems as artists. I held workshops to discuss stereotypes and the roles of an artist.  Then we discussed how they defined themselves.  We identified problems and found solutions.  In Mexico, a collective emerged, and they've completed seven murals since I've been there. The community organizers and workers are still working on projects. When I'm there, I do intense work during short times.  I can't do a project without the community's help.  I don't really start with a concept for the mural.  Instead, I work with the people.  I give them the right mindset and enhance their skills.  I give everyone tasks to contribute to the mural.  After I'm done, I always stay connected with the communities.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template The Professional Template II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP