Interview with Joan Tarka, Esq.

Thursday, July 15, 2010



Joan Tarka is a solo practitioner based just outside of Philadelphia.  Joan volunteers her time to the Philadelphia Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts. Joan was interviewed by recent Moore graduate in Fine Arts and emerging artist Lisa Haskell.

Can you give me a little bit of information on your background and what led you to be interested in volunteering for the arts?
I am a semi-retired contract attorney working from a home office and specialize in software licensing and related services for software companies. I have some expertise with intellectual property and copyright and contracts, all of which are important issues for artists to know about. I was looking for pro bono work in order to give back. I came across PVLA by checking the Pennsylvania Bar’s list of volunteer opportunities and thought working with artists would be quite simply, fun—I am a patron of the arts but not an artist myself, and I am the attorney for my daughter’s band so it seemed to be a good fit. I have to say it really is fun and I enjoy helping artists to spot issues, analyze, and reach conclusions.

Have you been a part of the group since its inception?
Basically yes. I started in mid-June of 2008. I will continue because it is important to continue to learn and gain valuable knowledge and of course PVLA is just a great organization to work with.

How much of your time do you give?
I am one of over 500 lawyers volunteering for PVLA. After PVLA does an initial screening [of a potential client] they will contact me if they think I might be helpful and available. If I am available, the person seeking services will contact me personally.  I communicate with the client before our first meeting in order to eliminate any misunderstandings and I will typically engage with a client for one project.

I see that PVLA offers support with contracts, commissions, leases, and more. Is there something that you tend to deal with more frequently?
I specialize in reviewing and negotiating contract particularly in the music industry; clients seeking help of this nature are often referred to me.  Most times I am just reviewing, advising, and providing information. Providing the client with more information saves time and gives a better explanation and reasoning for what needs to be done; this helps them to do some of the work on their own. For instance, I might have a client come to me with forms that they are proposing for contracts so I will some research of specifics, draft a contract relating to potential problems that might occur, and then revise based on the clients needs.

Do you personally work with small- and large-scale clients?
I am not a litigator, nor do I have the resources to take on large scale work. Through PVLA I am looking to help creative individuals who might not otherwise be able to afford such services.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template The Professional Template II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP